Saturday, November 21, 2009

Surrounded

Surrounded

Morning comes too early
and nighttime falls too late
And sometimes all I want to do
is wait
The shadow I've been hiding in
has fled from me today

I know it's easier to walk away
than look it in the eye
But I will raise a shelter to the sky
and here beneath this
star tonight I'll lie
She will slowly yield the light
As I awaken from the longest
night

Dreams are shaking
Set sirens waking up tired eyes
With the light the memories
all rush into his head

By a candle stands a mirror
Of his heart and soul she
dances
She was dancing thru the night
above his bed

And walking to the window
he throws the shutters out
against the wall
And from an ivory tower hears
her call
"Let light surround you"

It's been a long, long time
He's had a while to think it over
In the end he only sees the
change
Light to dark
Dark to light
Light to dark
Dark to light

Heaven must be more than this
When angels waken with a kiss
Sacred hearts won't take the
pain
But mine will never be the same

He stands before the window
His shadow slowly fading from
the wall
And from an ivory tower hears
her call
"Let the light surround you"

Once lost but I was found
When I heard the stained glass
shatter all around me
I sent the spirits tumbling
down the hill
But I will hold this one on high
above me still
She whispers words to clear my mind
I once could see but now at last
I'm blind

I know it's easier to walk away
than look it in the eye
But I had given all that
I could take
And now I've only habits left
to break
Tonight I'll still be lying here
Surrounded in all the light

Greetings from the Holy Land my friends! We have some of the most beautiful but cryptic Dream Theater lyrics in this song. I absolutely love them and I think this is one of Dream Theater’s most emotional and airy songs. I will admit, I don’t know what this song is about. It is hard to interpret. It seems to be about some type of sweet enlightenment—about finding something that allows us to face life. It doesn’t fix all of our problems but it is beauty that gives us strength in our weakness. I of course think this song is talking about spiritual enlightenment (at least I want it to be). It works so let’s roll with it and if someone knows better please enlighten me. If you want to listen to an amazing version of this song, check out the version on the Chaos in Motion DVD (I believe it is called Surrounded ’07). It is 15 minutes long and has portions from “Mother” by Pink Floyd and “Sugar Mice” by Marillion in it. Pure magic. Your ears will be thankful you listened to it.

So my time in Israel is wrapping up. I only have three weeks to go. Time flies. It has been a blast and I am sure the last few weeks will be awesome also. It has also been a very challenging semester emotionally and spiritually (and I guess physically), but it has been awesome. All good things in life are challenging. It has been one big spiritual journey as I am continually learning what it means to follow Jesus and am being conformed to His image. It hurts at times and I feel like a spiritual failure at times but God doesn’t feel that way about me. He saved me and changed me and is saving me and changing me and He won’t give up on me. He is going to use me in mighty ways despite my failures and through my failures. He is working all things in my life for my good—Even my sin; even spiritual oppression and trials. He is teaching me that Christianity is about love! It is not all about doctrine but about living what you believe. This is a big thing I have learned from Jewish people. They emphasize live out your faith more than actually believing. Don’t get me wrong, correct belief is essential. Unless one believes they are sinners who need saving and turn to Jesus the Messiah for forgiveness of sins, they will not be saved. But I so often get caught up in the details and forget what matters most. Jesus says that His disciples will be known by their love for one another. That is a revolutionary message that is rocking my world. People should know I follow Jesus not by what I believe but by the outworking of what I believe—love.

Everyone needs to love and be loved. Everyone needs to know someone cares for them and is there for them. Everyone needs to know that there is hope in hopelessness—that there is a God who loves them. I will show the world God’s love through my actions and words. We can turn the world upside down if we, followers of Christ, put our differences aside, and love. Oh, we could.

Life is hard, at times unbearable. Yes, sin is overwhelming and oh so discouraging, but God is good. He is better. Look at Him. Let His light surround you. Then His light will surround the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment