Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Killing Hand

The Killing Hand

I. The Observance

An Angel's kiss now fallen
Descending scarlet cuts the sky
Faded names left on the wall
Honor the fighting leave life to
die

Remembered is the sacrifice but
No praisal of blood still flowing
Who were the leaders?
What controlled the Killing Hand
that caused this mourning?

Crossing over...

II. Ancient Renewal

Lowered deep into the sea
Being a waits to cleanse his soul
senses weakening time is still
Motionless by stiffening cold

The wheels race back and
Scorch his mind
Travelling all to find the land
Revelation warms a touch
And now he will begin to
Understand

III. The Stray Seed

Extended a view to yesterday
Manifestation for none the same
Walking amidst a frightening still
No sound, no smoke, no scorching
Flames

He is risen...

Sipping his poison the raven sings
Yet another to add more bodies
fallen
King from below
this one controls
the Killing Hand that caused this
mourning

Is it all over?

IV. Thorns

Evil genius this secret plan
Mercy dealt with the losing hand
Will he ever fall?
Can he end it all?
Our savior must make his stand

Only a Prophet of years to come
Wanting mortality I'm all alone
He heard my voice
It was my choice
I've stopped the Killing Hand

V. Exodus

When I go back again
Will it be the same?
I've stopped the cries
But now they know my name

The sea is calling me
my spirit must return
As I get closer,
was it really worth
what I have learned?

I'm in the valley
And the saddened chimes I hear
Race towards the wall to find
one more name appears

No one is left now
my one and only land
I laugh at what I've done
I am the Killing Hand

What is up! This song is pure domination. The lyrics are incredible and the music is even better. It is basically about a guy who hears of a crazy massacre and goes back in time and witnesses the event and kills the Killing Hand, and then he realizes he was the Killing Hand and he killed himself. This song shows us how oblivious we can be to the evil we commit and the great damage it can do to us. We must be continually remembering our great inclination to evil and not be blind to the evil we can commit or some day it may be too late and we will have ruined or destroyed our own life.

Today I went to Jerusalem and saw some Biblical sites (especially pertaining to the Old Testament) Among other things, I saw part of the wall that King Hezekiah built, walked through Hezekiah’s Tunnel, went to the City of David, saw tombs of the Kings of Judah, and went to the Pools of Siloam where Jesus had a man wash His eyes and be healed. We also went to a Catholic Cemetery, which had a good view of Southern Jerusalem. There we had a good view of the Hinnom Valley. My professor then had someone read Jeremiah 7:30-32 which mentions the destruction that will take place in that Valley because of the evil committed there. In 586 B.C., God used the Babylonians to destroy Jerusalem and this prophecy and many others were fulfilled. God punished the Israelites for this evil and the many other evils they committed. So, I was thinking earlier, “Wow, this goes perfect with ‘The Killing Hand’. God is the Killing Hand. This will go great for my blog!” Then I read what this song was about and realized it did not work. I realized something else. The Jews are the Killing Hand. Though, God punished them through the Babylonians, the Jews ultimately killed themselves. They committed suicide. They rebelled against the Holy and Sovereign God who loves them. They turned away from the perfect eternal, living God and turned to lifeless, finite gods. They turned from the perfect law that leads to life to depraved sin that leads to death. And it was not like they were not warned. The prophets warned them time after time, but they would not listen. They even persecuted the prophets. Cutting their own throat felt so good; they just could not stop. They may have realized the error of their ways when the Babylonians came and destroyed the city; but it was too late. They had reached the point of no return and were destroyed for their unrepentance. Suicide seemed so much sweeter than life and they payed a big price for it.

Evil blinds us to evil. The more we sin; the blinder we become to the sinfulness of sin. We become numb to it and sink further into depravity; we sink further into suicide. We lose sight of what is good and it becomes very hard for us to turn from our sin. We spurn rebuke and instruction. We know our sin is good and it leads to happiness. We become blind to the evil it is causing us for so long. Then we finally begin to see the error of our ways; but it is too late. We are already dead. I urge you and I urge myself, turn away from your sin. There will be consequences for it. Even believers are not free from the temporal consequences of sin. Flee from your sin. Flee to God.

“Yet even now,” declares the LORD,

“Return to me with all your heart,

With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;

And rend your hearts and not your garment.”

Return to the LORD, your God,

For he is gracious and merciful,

Slow to anger, and abounding in

Steadfast love;

And he relents over disaster.

Joel 2:12,13

1 comment:

  1. " Cutting their own throat felt so good; they just could not stop." - wow dude, great imagery. great analogy. i might use that in one of my papers...

    ReplyDelete